From fine china and figurines to carved oak and mid-century furnishings, every antique has a story to tell.
Do you own a family heirloom passed down through the generations? Or, have you snapped up a rare trinket while thrift shopping? No matter how you’ve found your antique furniture, these beloved treasures hold deep sentimental value, and can often carry high financial worth.
It’s vital to store your collectibles in a safe and protected place, especially if you’re looking to cut down on clutter in your home. At U•STORE•IT, we offer spacious and secure self-storage, along with specialized packing supplies to safeguard your prized possessions.
Once you’ve chosen the best storage unit for you, be sure to take the right steps to stow away your valuables. Read on for helpful tips to prep, clean and store your antique furniture to keep your possessions sparkling and shining for decades to come.
Dust off the cobwebs
Before you pack your antique furniture away, keep it looking fresh with a proper cleaning. Every collectible has unique care instructions, so research extensively before ever spraying it down with chemicals. Always read the package directions or consult an expert if you’re unsure how to proceed.
But, as a rule, antique collectors recommend you take these steps:
- Wipe down items like wood furniture with a soft, dry cloth to remove excess dust and grime. If that’s not doing the job, wax the wood with a natural polish, which prevents cracking and drying.
- Consider cleaning glazed porcelain and ceramics with isopropyl alcohol. However, steer clear of this chemical when wiping wood or painted glass, as it can strip the finish.
- Dust off delicate pieces with a paintbrush or moisture-free canned air. But, avoid the temptation to over-clean jewelry, which can lose its shine when scrubbed too often.
Break it down
Stacking chairs to the ceiling might sound like a clever storage solution, but you’re risking damage to your antique furniture if you go this route.
Wherever possible, you should disassemble pieces to prevent stress and damage on joints. Try these tips:
- Carefully dismantle removable pieces, such as legs, headboards, slats, shelves and drawers.
- Stay organized by labeling each part and creating a complete checklist.
- Take pictures to remind you how to put the furniture back together. If you should ever need to make an insurance claim, these photos will also come in handy as evidence.
Keep everything under wraps
When properly sealed and packed, antiques retain their beauty and value. Whether it’s a stately desk, ornate mirror or delicate doll, it’s essential to choose the correct material to protect your treasures.
Luckily, we offer a variety of storage supplies to preserve your vintage collectibles:
- Cover your antiques with protective paper pads to shield against dust, moisture and mildew.
- Add Saf-T-Pak to the edges and corners of mirrors and artwork. Store them horizontally to prevent them from falling over.
- Glass- and dish-guards will cushion your delicate pieces against chips and damage.
- Depending on the size of the antique, place it in one of our small, medium or large storage boxes. Arrange pieces closely enough together to maximum square footage while still allowing air flow through the space.
Protect your precious antiques at U•STORE•IT
Your antique furniture deserves a safe and happy home, one that will keep it looking as immaculate as the day you inherited it.
Once you’ve cleaned and packed your possessions, we’re eager to help you choose the right self-storage unit for your needs. Our modern and highly hygienic storage facilities in Edmonton, St. Albert and Red Deer come fully equipped with 24-hour surveillance, climate-controlled bays and expert staff.